May is National Foster Care Month
May is National Foster Care Month and provides an opportunity to focus attention on the year-round needs of children and youth in foster care. GCJFS continues to need nurturing homes to place children, ages birth to eighteen years, who are placed into our custody every year in Geauga County. We are particularly in need of foster homes for sibling groups and older children.
GCJFS provides new foster and adoptive parents with comprehensive pre-service training and ongoing support and training to families and single adults interested in fostering or adopting.
Foster/Adoptive families have the opportunity to impact young lives in great ways and set the course for a happy, healthy future. The decision to bring a child into your home through foster care/adoption is a decision to help the most vulnerable realize a chance for a brighter future.
Foster care is an ongoing effort to further normalize a child’s life; part of which includes getting them involved in extra-curricular activities, cultural events, clubs and other outlets that allow growth to take place. Part of the Strengthening Families Act allows foster caregivers, who have been trained, to make decisions for foster children without consultation related to normal activities.
In order to be a foster parent:
- You must be 21 years of age or older.
- You must be financially stable.
- You may own or rent your home/apartment.
- You can be single, married or living with a significant other.
- You must live within Geauga County or within thirty miles of the agency.
- At least one caregiver must read, write and speak English.
- What are the steps to becoming a foster parent?
- Attend an information meeting.
- Complete 36 hours of training.
- Complete an application and all related paperwork.
- Talk with a permanency planning worker who will conduct an assessment with you and/or you and your family.
If you or someone you know is interested in obtaining more information, please contact Jodi Miller at 440-285-9141 x1125.
- Foster/Adopt Information Meeting
- I was adopted!!!
- We were adopted!!
- Meet Corey!
- Annual Adoption Bowling Party!
- Meet Donavin!
- Gliding Stars Program: Adaptive Ice Skating
- Free Community Movie Night
- Learning for Independence: Internet Safety
- Metzenbaum Respite Night
- Foster/Adoptive Information Meeting Tomorrow!!!!
- Eagle Scout service project